Ovation Concrete Countertop SealerTM is easy for the homeowner to repair if scratches do occur.
Scratches should be taken care of immediately, or as soon as possible. Deep scratches can penetrate the sealer and expose the concrete underneath. Stains that get into the concrete through the scratch are very difficult to remove, especially oil.
First Remove Stains
Before repairing scratches in your concrete countertop, you should first fix any stains or oil penetration that got through the scratches. All stains and damage must be eliminated before resealing, otherwise, they will be permanently locked into the concrete. Please see this article explaining how to remove stains from concrete countertops.
Once that is done, there are two approaches to dealing with scratches: repair or restore.
- Repairing a scratch is very similar to how a scratch is repaired on a car: A touch-up is applied just to the scratch. That touch up repair will be visible under close inspection.
- Restoring the finish to its like-new state involves more work, but looks much better.
Repairing a Scratch in Ovation
The easiest and fastest way to touch up the concrete should it become scratched is:
- Rub some Ovation into the scratch with your finger or a soft cloth.
- Wipe off the excess and let it dry.
- Repeat this 2 or 3 more times.
This will seal the scratch, but it’s likely you’ll see where you applied the sealer, since Ovation does not “melt” into itself.
Restoring a Concrete Countertop Sealed with Ovation
It takes more effort and time to fix a scratch and not see the repaired area.
- First, clean the scratched area with a detergent and rinse well.
- Let the area dry, and lightly sand the finish with 600 to 800 grit sandpaper. Scratches usually make sharply defined grooves, and sanding softens the edges and thins the surrounding surface so the shape of the scratch won’t show after sealing. Lightly sand and feather out the sanded area.
- Thoroughly clean the whole countertop, or at least the section of concrete from seam to seam.
- Reapply Ovation to the whole area the same way you sealed it in the first place: spray on Ovation and backroll. Apply at least 2 coats.